You come to the dentist for the health of your smile and to improve its aesthetic appeal, but did you know there is so much your dentist in Aurora can do to really make your smile shine? Traditionally, Botox was administered by a trained plastic surgeon or dermatologist and used to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. However, since its FDA approval in 2002, it has become a very popular treatment in the anti-aging market with more than 11 million customers.
We’ve rounded up some of the most common questions about Botox.
What is Botox?
It’s a safe, clinically produced bacterium that is injected into muscles. When injected in small diluted amounts, Botox prevents the muscles from contracting and reduces the look of wrinkles. Within three to five days of treatment, lines and wrinkles relax, giving the face a smoother and happier appearance. Every patient is different, but often Botox treatments typically last three to four months and can be repeated any number of times.
What are the reasons people get Botox?
The primary reason is that people want to fight the signs of aging. This is not a new phenomenon … battling wrinkles has been around for centuries and is most popular among women between the ages of 45-54. However, Botox is not only used now to prevent fine lines and wrinkles; it’s also become popular with younger women who want to slow down the development of them.
Other reasons why people may get Botox injections include:
- Teeth grinding: Also known as bruxism, Botox can help release the muscles that contract and cause your teeth to grind when you sleep.
- TMJ disorders: According to a study conducted in 2012, Botox can help alleviate some of the pain associated with temporomandibular (TMJ) disorders (e.g., jaw pain, headaches, face, or joint pain).
- It helps with migraines. A series of injections will help relax your muscles as well as block the sensory nerves that send pain signals to the brain.
- It helps your eyes. If you suffer from blurred vision, eye twitching, or have eyes that are not properly aligned (also known as being cross-eyed) or spasms, Botox injections will help relax your eye muscles.
Lastly, Botox injections work! Most patients are very happy with the results (which typically last for about three to four months).
If you’re considering Botox, here’s what you can expect:
- Noticeable results within a few hours.
- A relatively quick and pain-free procedure. Most patients who have had Botox injections say it feels like a pinch. As your dentist in Aurora, we will numb the area and then start the procedure. It takes about 10 minutes in total.
- No adverse side effects. Side effects and complications are rare; however, like any other injection, the health care practitioner will advise you that your body should be in a relatively healthy state before starting treatment.
When would your dentist in Aurora provide Botox?
- If you have a high lip line (also known as having a “gummy smile”), Botox can plump your lips to cover more of the gums.
- If you’ve had dental restorations (e.g., fillings, crowns, orthodontics), the dentist may finish off the new look with Botox injections to minimize fine lines around your mouth.
- For those who have dentures. If you’ve lost some of your teeth and your lip muscles have repositioned themselves due to decreased vertical dimensions, it may be difficult for you to have a set of dentures. In this case, Botox injections will help retrain your muscles if you’re having difficulty adjusting to your dentures.
Is your dentist in Aurora qualified to perform Botox procedures?
The answer is yes. Your dentist in Aurora already has extensive knowledge of the structures in your head and neck. Plus, we’ve completed the proper training required to administer Botox.
Do you have questions about Botox? Wondering if it’s a viable option for you? At Skyview Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we’re happy to help. Please call us at (365) 803-1104 to arrange your personal consultation.